More Mercedes records to fall in 2014
|Douglas A. Bolduc is Managing Editor at Automotive News Europe.|
- Tesla shows why VW, Daimler should keep their heavy trucks businesses
- BMW's cycle 'hyperloop' is a vision for fast, pollution-free city travel
- Bentley Bentayga's autonomous tech tops Audi's
- French tech company NAWA sees ultracapacitor battery breakthrough
- Why Vauxhall is likely to survive despite a steep sales slump
Mercedes' new record for global sales in a single month -- 158,523 cars and SUVs -- probably won't last long.
With the new-generation C class, Mercedes' No. 1 seller globally, and the all-new GLA SUV starting to arrive at dealers now, the German automaker is poised to surpass the high-water mark set in March as early as this month.
Continued strong demand for its other compacts -- the CLA, B class and A class -- likely will help Mercedes continually reset its single-month sales record during the course of this year.
The volume surge also could boost No. 3 Mercedes in the global ranking of top-selling premium carmakers. Why? Because second-ranked Audi's biggest car launch this year will be the third-generation TT, which is not a high-volume model.
You can reach Douglas A. Bolduc at email@example.com.