Buick's next-generation LaCrosse sedan will adopt the face of the buzzed-about Avenir concept when it goes on sale in the U.S. next year, a look that will spread across the brand's lineup over the next few years.... Read More »
Hyundai's redesigned Elantra sedan gets more streamlined styling, higher engine output, better fuel economy and improved driving dynamics through use of lightweight high-strength steel and an overhauled suspension.... Read More »
Hyundai Motor Co.'s sixth-generation Elantra compact sedan adopts more mature, streamlined styling, higher engine output and better fuel economy. The car -- sold as the Avante in Korea -- has been re-engineered to deliver better driving dynamics, through greater use of lightweight high-strength steel and an overhauled suspension system. It is also longer and wider than the outgoing Elantra. Go to the Gallery »
• Vehicle type: Touring car concept
• Seats: 2+2
• Engine: 6.75-liter, 530-hp V-8
• Base price: It likely would be priced above the Mulsanne sedan, which starts at $310,125, including shipping and gas-guzzler tax.
• What's cool: Diamond-quilted leather; two-tone paint job; bejeweled shifter knob; enormous piece of burr walnut trim behind the rear seats
• Will it be built? Probably, but Bentley CEO Wolfgang Duerheimer said the company plans to gauge customer reaction first. Go to the Gallery »
Starting at $115,195, including shipping, the 911 Carrera GTS will be available as a droptop for $11,900 more. All-wheel drive is a $6,700 option for both coupe and convertible. The first cars will arrive in U.S. dealerships by the end of 2014. Go to the Gallery »
• Vehicle type: Racing concept
• Engine: “Mid-mounted laser beamed-energy propulsion system” putting out 900 hp.
• Who designed it: Frank Saucedo, director of General Motors' Advanced Design Studio
• What's cool: Driver lies face down with arms and legs splayed out toward the wheels and, in theory, could rocket from 0 to 60 mph in 1.5 seconds.
• Will it be built? Not in your wildest dreams. It's a concept based on a car designed for the “Gran Turismo 6” video game on Sony's PlayStation 3 system. Go to the Gallery »
• Vehicle type: Convertible concept
• Who designed it: Yasuo Kajino, chief designer at Lexus International
• What's cool: The most angular version to date of Lexus' “spindle” grille; jagged LED taillights; body color-matched center console that runs through the back seat to the trunk
• Will it be built? Probably, but in a toned-down manner. Lexus' only convertible, the IS C, is based on the prior-generation IS sedan. Expect a production droptop based on the RC coupe. Go to the Gallery »
The HR-V, now sold in Japan as the Vezel, is expected to get the 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine from the Fit. Like the Fit, the HR-V will put cargo space at a premium, with fold-flat rear seats and a fuel tank packaged beneath the front seats. Go to the Gallery »
The restyled subcompact gets flashier headlights and taillights and more body cladding to underscore its crossover branding. Nissan also will launch a new vehicle personalization program for the Juke. Go to the Gallery »
The 2016 Explorer, which is a midcycle freshening, will come with a new version of Ford’s 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine and a new, loaded Platinum trim level that will be priced above the current top-of-the-line Explorer Sport. The 2016 Explorer should arrive in dealerships next summer. Go to the Gallery »
• Vehicle type: Coupe concept
• Engine: 4.0-liter, 605-hp turbocharged V-8
• Who designed it: Audi design chief Marc Lichte
• What's cool: No-handle doors use touch sensors to open; no pillar between front and rear seats; touch-screen displays integrated into the dashboard
• Will it be built? Maybe. Audi said the concept's styling will appear in the next-generation A6, A7 and A8, but if Audi wanted to build an A9 grand coupe to vie with archrival Mercedes-Benz's S-class coupe, it would look a lot like this.
• Show reaction: Videographers argued over the privilege of getting inside the concept and shooting video. They were lucky to have the chance: Labor strikes and shipping delays meant Audi's showpiece almost was stuck in port for the show. Go to the Gallery »
• Vehicle type: Small crossover
• Seats: 5
• Engine: 2.0-liter, 155-hp 4-cylinder gasoline
• On sale: Summer 2015
• Base price: Not announced, but expect it to fall between the Mazda3 five-door (base price: $19,765 with shipping) and Mazda CX-5 (base price: $22,375 with shipping).
• What's cool: All-wheel-drive option; head-up display; “floating” roofline above the D-pillar Go to the Gallery »
Scion is gearing up for a rebound with two new vehicles, the iA sedan and iM hatchback, both shown last month at the New York auto show. But sources say a third new vehicle on Scion's docket is scheduled to be announced this fall, possibly in November at the Los Angeles Auto Show.... Read More »