Ford Motor Co. said it is realigning its European production in a move that will add two models at the carmaker's Valencia, Spain, factory and an electric version of the Focus at the Saarlouis, Germany, plant.
Ford also said its new B-Max small minivan will be built in its Craiova, Romania, factory and the plant will add a second, as-yet-unnamed small-segment model.
Ford of Europe said the realignment will improve capacity utilization and productivity, and support its product-led growth strategy.
Ford plans to launch at least 20 all-new or significantly freshened vehicles in Europe over the next three years. The automaker outlined its production plans in a statement on Tuesday, which said:
- The next-generation Transit Connect small van and Kuga medium SUV will be built in Valencia. Currently the Transit Connect is built in Kocaeli, Turkey, and the Kuga in Saarlouis.
- Saarlouis, which recently started production of the new Focus, will build the Focus Electric starting 2012. The plant also will produce the next-generation Focus.
- Ford's plant in Cologne, Germany, will build a freshened version of the Fiesta that goes into production next year, as well as the next-generation Fiesta.
- The Cologne engine plant will begin producing the carmaker's new fuel-efficient 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine later this year.
- Craiova will build the new B-Max starting in early 2012 and also will manufacture a second B-segment vehicle in the future. The plant also will begin producing the new fuel-efficient 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine in early 2012.
- Kocaeli will build an all-new light commercial vehicle in addition to the next-generation Transit commercial vehicle and will continue to provide engineering for the next-generation Transit Connect to be built in Spain.
- Ford's plant in Southampton, England, will produce the chassis cab derivative of the next-generation Ford Transit.
In a statement, Ford of Europe CEO Stephen Odell said: "We've come through the worst of the economic crisis as a strong and profitable company, and we have a full pipeline of exciting vehicles coming to market. Now we are taking the right actions to grow profitably in Europe."