LOS ANGELES -- Toyota Motor Corp., moving to rebuild stockpiles depleted by the March earthquake in Japan, said Thursday that output of all vehicles produced in North America will return to normal levels in September.
Based on U.S. sales data through May, that represents about 68 percent of Toyota's total U.S. sales volume across all its brands. The remaining 32 percent comes from Japan -- and is expected to be imported at full volume by November, the automaker said in a statement.
Eight of the company's 12 North America-built models returned to full production capacity on June 6. Those vehicles are the Toyota Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, Matrix, Sequoia, Sienna and Venza.
However, the Toyota RAV4, Tacoma and Tundra and the Lexus RX 350 are still being produced at reduced levels as the automaker grapples with the lingering impact of the March 11 quake and tsunami.
"After September, we will focus on making up lost production as much as possible," Steve St. Angelo, executive vice president of Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing, North America, said in the statement.
Toyota expects its North American production capacity to remain at more than 80 percent on average through August, up from 70 percent in May. Toyota's global production is currently running at about 70 percent.