MILAN (Reuters) -- Italy's only annual car show will take place in Milan next year, moving from Bologna after this year's event was cancelled due to a lack of exhibitors in a moribund local market.
The event will run from Dec. 11-21, 2014.
"We want to give the automotive industry a springboard that can compete with the big European car shows," said Enrico Pazzali, chief executive of the Fiera Milano, the show venue.
The Bologna auto show was scheduled to take place from Dec. 3-9. But with Italy's domestic car sales having fallen 50 percent since 2007, carmakers have little incentive to spend the money to show new products to a public that's not buying.
Car companies spend at least 1 million euros per brand on a stand at a major international car show such as the ones held in Detroit, Paris, Geneva and Frankfurt. Audi was reported to have spent 40 million euros to deck out its stand and other locations at the Frankfurt show in September.
The Frankfurt show in 2013 had 1,000 exhibitors, whereas Bologna last year had 133.
The Milan show will be organized by Promotor, the same group that ran the Bologna event. "We will start to contact potential exhibitors today," Promotor Chairman Alfredo Cazzola said on Friday. "Right now we aren't able to say how many we will have."