FRANKFURT (Reuters) -- Audi has no plans to enter Formula One, the company said, seeking to end speculation that the carmaker was tempted to broaden its commitment to motor racing.
"This is not a topic for us," an Audi spokesman said on Monday.
German daily Handelsblatt reported that Audi CEO Rupert Stadler had ruled out an entry into Formula One after speculation of a partnership with former champions Red Bull.
"Formula One needs to solve its problems on its own," Handelsblatt quoted Stadler as saying in its Monday edition.
Last week, Stadler was quoted as saying Formula One remained an option for Audi. He told the UK's Auto Express magazine website that "in life you must keep things open," in response to a question about the sport.
There has long been speculation about whether Audi might be tempted into Formula One, and it increased after Volkswagen's Chairman Ferdinand Piech quit last month. Audi is a VW Group division.
Piech was seen as being strongly opposed to Formula One where top teams have annual budgets of over $200 million.
Audi currently competes in the Le Mans annual endurance race, the German Touring Car series and the fledgling Formula E competition for electric powered cars.