The slimmed-down "Up & Go" offer from Renault's low-cost brand Dacia is focused on engines and trim lines rather than reducing color options.
"By guiding customers to two engines and a single finish, there is no longer an embarrassment of choice ... and thanks to this, from an industrial point of view, it is much easier to program, to schedule," said Dacia logistics and distribution director Dimitri Manoussis.
The program cuts 40 days off delivery times. Dacia says "Up & Go," which is available in just 14 combinations, accounts for 30 percent of Duster SUV sales in France, while 400 combinations account for the remaining 70 percent.
The Duster is Dacia's second-best selling car.
The program also covers the Sandero Stepway small hatchback and Jogger compact crossover that are built with popular options.
In the case of the Jogger, which was launched this year, the Up & Go version was available in 30 days, compared with at least four months' wait for personalized orders, Dacia executives said.
"If we reduce product diversity, we make a lot of things more fluid," Manoussis said.
Dacia will roll out "Up & Go" across its entire range and expand it to Belgium, Morocco and Portugal by the end of the year, followed by the United Kingdom.
Renault's "Ready to Go" is also good for the automaker's margins since the simplified "fast track" Arkana starts at 38,630 euros ($39,348), a similar price to the model's top trim, the RS Line.
For customers like Emilie Malherbe, who originally wanted a fully loaded RS Line, going for a simpler option was the only way to get a car in time for summer.
More simplification is coming. Stellantis has cut the entry-level version of its new Peugeot 408 and will offer only two trim levels.
"The new 408 focuses on the most requested trim levels," said Peugeot product director Jérôme Micheron. "This will simplify the customer journey."
"It is easier and faster to configure your car on our website when there are not too many options," he added.