The Giulia Sport Wagon may have disappeared from Alfa Romeo's product plans, but Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne says Alfa -- which is launching its first SUV/crossover, the Stelvio -- will soon have two more crossovers.
Marchionne, speaking at FCA's Balocco test track in Italy with the brand's Instagram followers, said: "Two Alfa Romeo models will be added, positioned one below and one above the Stelvio," the Italian daily newspaper Corriere della Sera reported Feb. 12.
The Stelvio was unveiled in November at the Los Angeles auto show. It is currently being rolled out in Europe and is expected in U.S. dealerships in the second quarter.
Like all Alfa Romeos, the two new crossovers will be built in Italy. Marchionne said in the same interview that one would be made near Turin in "late 2018 -- early 2019."
The Stelvio is built on the same platform as the Giulia midsize car and produced in the same factory in Cassino, Italy.
Alfa Romeo brand head Reid Bigland told the British magazine Autocar in November that a Giulia-based Sport Wagon would be revealed next month at the Geneva auto show. But FCA European head Alfredo Altavilla said in January that the Giulia Sport Wagon had been scrapped because it too closely resembled the Stelvio.