PARIS -- Luca de Meo ripped up Renault’s product plan on the second day into his job as CEO of the automaker.
“When I came into the design room in 2020, there were 20 concepts. I think three quarters of them were small cars for very exotic markets,” he said.
“I changed the whole product plan in six weeks,” de Meo told the Automotive News Europe Congress here on Wednesday.
De Meo became Renault CEO in July 2020 as the automaker was reeling from a 7.3 billion euro ($8.6 billion) first half loss and seeking to move on from the Carlos Ghosn era.
The industry veteran had previously worked for Toyota and led the Fiat and Alfa Romeo brands, and Volkswagen Group's Seat unit. On arriving at Renault, his plan to revive the company was to move the core brand away from unprofitable small cars.